Our four grandchildren are with us for eight weeks this summer, and the most asked question to us, is "How do you do it?" It is amazing how easy it is to do things for which we are passionate, and which give us joy. We call it O'camp, and we really do feel like camp directors. I feel like I should write a book called "What To Do With Your Grandchildren During The Summer." First of all, we have to be terribly organized. Well before they come, we renew passes to all of the parks in San Diego, including Leggoland, San Diego Zoo/Wild Animal Park,and Sea World. The costs for those go up as each grand turns three years old. We remember when we only had one, then two, then three, and now the fourth is three.
We then use our "village" to find out about other places we may not be aware of. Each summer we have a theme, so sometimes the places will be related to that theme. Our theme for this year is "Nature," (which is not grandma's thing, although she has gotten better). We call it "Going Green With The G's." We sign them up for classes--this year, it is tennis camp, swimming classes for the youngest, basketball camp for another, and gymnastics classes twice a week for our gymnast. All of these require planning--all of the planning is done before they arrive. We begin the visit with a family meeting and everyone has a say so. We plan our meals, where we will have lunch, chores, allowance, guidelines, responsibilities, and everything else which will make it easier for grandma and grandpa. Some think that because of the age ranges, 16, 13, 7, and 3, it would be even more difficult--NOT. It is like the "Old Village," when the older ones were responsible for the younger ones. The boys are fantastic with the girls, and are my trusty helpers. I don't even have to use a stroller this year--that certainly would not be the case without the boys. Simple things like putting the youngest in the car seat, and taking her out makes life easier.
We decided, this year, to take them to San Francisco for four days just for the experience since they have never been there. We will stay in a hotel, (Hyatt on Union Square) and just do unplanned San Francisco things. We are looking forward to it, and it will probably remind us of the train trip to Chicago with them a few years ago. Our nephew and his two daughters joined us on that one. No train this time--that was a one time deal. This time it will be Southwest.
Another wonderful thing about having them here is that I see places that I have not seen before, like The Cabrillo National Monument which we visited today. Even after living here for over forty years, I had never visited there. I also get in a lot of beach and bay time, and more outside time that I usually get. I still enjoy seeing the wonder in their eyes. Grandparents--we are the memory makers!!!!! I'm lovin' it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
this is really nice.
start work on that book!!
K
Interesting that you mentioned Cabrillo National Monument. We're up in Portland, Or and someone who is planning on visiting Sam Diego asked about what to see other than the zoo,etc. we told her Cabrillo. Funny that I never suggested it to you or others in SD. I assume you have all been there.
I'll be glad when I can make those kinds of memories with McKenzie. :) Thank you for shaing Grandma! :)
Considering how these days so many Grandparents only get the grandchildren by default--some temporary custody due to family dysfunction--it is a blessing for your grandkids that you and Mr. O volunteer to enrich their lives, whereby, I am sure, you both are equally enriched in return.
Post a Comment