Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 16, 2014

Apron Legacy

I am a member of several groups on FB, and one I really find fascinating is a recipe club which was started by a former student. I know many of the young women in the group, but there are many I don't know. Even though I rarely cook these days, it is always interesting to read their posts, some relate to cooking, and others don't. I love the camaraderie of sharing with these young 40 somethings, and 50 somethings.

Today there was a post regarding aprons--one member posted it from something she read. It reminded me of my love for aprons. I have many, many aprons and am never in the kitchen without one. I even wear one over my pajamas if I have to be in the kitchen while wearing them. (I probably have more pajamas than clothes)

My grandmother and great grandmother were never in the kitchen without an apron. I think my great grandmother wore them all of the time, even when she was not cooking. I have many of my grandmother's aprons, and each time I wear one, it brings back such wonderful memories. Who would think that there would be a legacy in an apron. It is another reminder of how significant, such insignificant things really are. Even though some of those aprons are worn, and raggedy, I have never parted with any one of them. There are very few people who even know of my love for aprons. Each one has some significance in my life.

What a joy it is when I visit our oldest daughter. She is an APRON WEARER too! Who knew? The legacy continues. I think that when our grand girls are here this summer, I will have the two of them wear little aprons when we are in the kitchen!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is for sure a Southern thing. My mother and grandmother love aprons. :-) I can't wait to see your g'girls in their little aprons. :-)

Mia said...

I love aprons too and I got my sewing machines all tuned up specifically to finish a quilt for my mom this summer and to start making aprons. I was thinking about Christmas presents.