Yesterday I went to see the movie, Pariah, which is about the coming out of a young girl. I read a review of the movie and it was also recommended by a friend. I don't usually like to attend movies other than those before noon, but because I'm afraid it won't be around long, I went to the 2:15 show at the local theater.
Audre Lorde's poetry resonated throughout the entire movie through the reading of the main character. Now I know why my friend was anxious to find some of Lorde's poems.
There were several things which were interesting to me. First of all, it was an all Black cast (I was happy about the cast because the subject is something which is not discussed enough in our culture) and the main character's name was Alike, a very unusual name. The name was important to me because although it may be African in origin, it also is a symbol of how alike we all are--straight or gay.
Alike was a tomboyish looking girl with a domineering, religious mother and a supporting father, although I think he was cheating on his wife. Perhaps he felt as trapped by the mother as Alike did. Interestingly enough, Alike was not seduced by her very good friend, but by the church girl approved by her mother. She was my least favorite character because she did not want to admit who she really was--she ran and did not choose. It reminded me of so many girls I knew in that age group who also felt the need to run and not choose. I am not sure if that is part of the "coming out" process--I'll have to ask somebody about that.
There was only one thing which absolutely shocked me in the movie, but I decline to add it here, suffice it to say, it involved something which had to be purchased.
I was impressed by Alike's love for her mother, although her mother, clutching her bible, could not find the words to tell her daughter that she loved her. It made me think about the suicide rate in this young population and the angst they live with on a daily basis. I was impressed by the love her younger sister had for her, even though they were complete opposites.
As I sat through this film with about ten other people in the theater, I was further convinced that we all have to be respectful of each other. We must love one another and not expect everyone to live the same lifestyle that we live. Alike, with her strength and brilliance, was able to move on. I liked the movie's ending because it gave me hope that the mother would eventually come around--I was glad that it wasn't all wrapped up in a neat little package.
I have someone to whom I am recommending this movie. As she deals with seeing acceptance from everyone, she needs to know that she cannot expect everyone to necessarily say YAAY, but she has to stand tall, just as Alike did, and be who she is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment